Tuesday, September 16, 2008

On Interracial Online Dating

About 2 months ago, I enlisted in an interracial online dating site. My aunt who married an American guy encouraged me to enlist for reasons I'd rather not divulge. Basically, my reason for enlisting is my desire to meet men who doesn't judge me basing on my political and religious views but rather who would accept me and love me for who I am despite of the fact that i love tattoos and I'm a single mother.

I met men, men who pretended to be real, men who tried to be men, and men who are real gentlemen. A few of them got scared with the idea of a tattooed single mother. A handful of them stayed to be just friends and just one guy seem to be of real interest.

What hit me with this experience is that, people (men in general) have this idea that a Filipino woman should be simple, a homebody, knows how to cook and clean the house and shouldn't have much ambition in life. It is such a pity because a lot of Filipino women wants to become lawyers, engineers, scientists and some even wants to be the 3rd woman President of the Philippines. How could these men be so narrow-minded? If they're looking for a wife who can cook and clean the house, they'd rather look for a housemaid. Although I must say that a lot of Filipino women would jump into the idea of becoming housemaids but these women have grander ambitions and they're just making the housemaid job a stepping stone in achieving their dreams.

A lot of men I met online also complained that Filipino women always ask for money, money and more money. Now I'm thinking, who's stupid? These women who enlisted on these dating sites or the guys who fell to the trap to these swindling women. I wonder how a guy who claims to have a higher level of intellect fall to a woman in some third world country who asks for money because her mother is apparently sick and dying.

Let's try to look at the bigger picture. People get fooled because they allow themselves to be fooled. As for the women, well, we all have to survive. I just wish we do it in a way that we don't end up hurting (financially) other people. For the men, not all women on this site have the same ulterior motive. Some actually just wanted to find true love.

As innocent as it may sound, I for one just wanted to find my true love on the internet. If it's possible for some, it may be possible for me.

Good luck to us all in our search for the ever elusive true love!

No comments: