Monday, June 1, 2009

On marriage, motherhood and making decisions

Wives are made; mothers are born.

This is my opinion. I don't care if you agree or not but this is how I see things.

I am a mother myself. I have a 2yr old daughter who was born out wedlock. And yes, her father did ask me to marry him but I declined.

I believe that pregnancy is not a passport to marriage. I also believe that if you truly love each other, you don't need to be engaged for a decade before committing yourself to one another.

That is why I choose to be single; a single parent that is. I never truly loved my daughters’ father but I fell in love with my daughter the moment I felt her heartbeat within me.

Most women are given chances to become wives. I believe that once in our lives, we were given options to be somebody's life partner. On my case, there were five men who asked me to be their wife, none of which I said yes. I don’t think the sixth one will be a charm either.

I can’t envision myself walking down the aisle and saying I DO to this one man and doing it in front of so many witnesses. It gives me the creeps. Honestly, it really does. But I enjoy witnessing two individuals profess their love and devotion for one another. I enjoy going to wedding ceremonies. It's just that I don’t have the courage to do it myself.

I am brave enough to do bungee jumping or do rock climbing or perhaps be a passenger in car racing. But I get weak in the knees every time a boyfriend asks me to consider marriage. That idea is not really far-fetched but it’s not something I’m considering right now.

I am not getting married today. Perhaps tomorrow, but not definitely not today. When that time comes, I will surely let you know.

No comments: