Friday, June 12, 2009

ABNORMAL Love?

I had a heated debate with a friend recently who told me that the romantic love between two people of the same sex is ABNORMAL. I was appalled when I heard that blatant degradation of someone's sexual preference. She also said that men or women who's relationship with somebody older than them is just superficial and that they are simply using the person for personal gain. I respect her opinion however, I am deeply chagrined to hear those words coming from someone " who claims to be a Christian and is highly educated."

Love isn’t about a boy finding a girl and falling in love with her and vice versa. But rather, love is about finding someone you truly love and care about. It does not matter whether you find someone your own sex or some twice as old you are. What's important is what you feel for your beloved.

Honestly, I feel sick whenever I hear people say that men shouldn’t have relationships with men or women shouldn’t have relationships with women. Regardless of your sexual orientation, sexual preference or age, all of us should be free and I mean without boundaries to find that one person who will truly behold our hearts and make us happy.

I am straight. My sexual preference is defined to that of heterosexual relationships. However, I am not opposed to people falling in love with their same sex. It preposterous to say that since you are a man you should only fall in love with a woman.

Love is free. It should be given freely without asking for anything in return. And most of all, love shouldn't be confined within what they call as normal boy-girl relationship.

There isn’t such a thing as an abnormal love but I think it’s abnormal to think that way.

No comments: