Thursday, June 11, 2009

The brave and strong

I have tattoos on my body and I am a fan of extreme sports. However, no matter how many people tell me that I am brave and strong, I don't seem to be convinced.

First of all, I am but a human being. I don't have any super powers although I'd love to have one if given the chance (but I don't want to be Darna, just so you know).

Recently, I had a woman on woman and heart to heart conversation with a close friend. She said that of all the people she knew, she considered me as one of the strongest. Not just because of my ability to conquer a 40ft vertical wall but because I survived life's rather unconventional challenges.

Well, I think most of you knew that I am a single mother by choice. Honestly, had my daughters father been a man, I would have married him.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, all throughout my pregnancy, I endured it all alone. Just imagine being pregnant and going to the doctor alone for your monthly checkup. You walk down the street with a bulging tummy and rely on an umbrella instead of a man to keep yourself from falling. Or listening to your baby's heartbeat and having no one by your side to share the moment with. Then how about knowing your child's gender then going straight to the mall all by yourself to pickup your baby's needs. Lastly, having to go through labor without anybody to hold hands with.

I am not a strong person. There were moments when I have to cry myself to sleep because I don't have anybody to talk to. I do have friends but they have their own families and problems to deal with so I decided not to bother them.

I am not a strong person but I have someone strong supporting me. I have God. He made who I am now. He knew that I am weak so He gave me my daughter who in turn gave me new meaning to my life. I didn't see my purpose in life then until I became a mother.

You don't need to have tattoos all over your body to prove that you are brave and strong. Or you don't need to be an athlete to prove your strength. All you needed to be strong is your determination and endurance to survive one's challenges in life. And one divine being to back you up.

No comments: