Friday, October 3, 2008

Rich and Poor

Sitting in a mall bench got me thinking about how poor and how rich I am. Poor in the sense that i cant afford to buy the nice dress on the display window of a chic shop. Its a red dress. Nice cut and a not so nice price. I try to imagine wearing the dress. Fits perfectly. The color complements my skin and the style is just perfect. However, i cant afford it. Damn!

A lady walks by, beautiful, slim, fair skinned and clutching a big purse. She checks out the dress. stared at it. Measuring up, sizing up the dress. She went inside. Talked to the lady at the counter. The lady at the counter took the dress off from the display window. The beautiful lady took the dress and went inside the fitting room. After a few minutes, she came out. She's holding the dress closely as if its the greatest treasure on earth. She went to the counter and paid for it. Damn! I just lost the dress i so much wanted. Lost it right in front of my very own eyes. Damn again!

Life is so unfair. Really, it is. The lady who bought the dress is not only beautiful but she also has resources to make herself even more beautiful.

An hour later, I'm still sitting in the same bench contemplating on how to ease my self-made misery, the beautiful lady who bought the beautiful dress walked by again and sat beside me. She's talking on her mobile phone. Her voice was quivering. I can see that she's near tears. “Please, just tonight. I really wanted to see you. I want to talk to you. I really missed you.” This was what she said on the phone. She wasn't able to hold it any longer and she broke down and cried.

I thought of my daughter. Oh how much i miss her and talk to her and listen to her voice. I called my mom in the province and talked to Alix. Alix was really excited. She was laughing and kept saying mommy, mommy, mommy. I cried.

I cried because i realized that i am so rich. So rich with love..so full it. My bank account may say otherwise but deep inside my heart, i felt that i am the richest woman in world because i have a daughter whom i love so much and also feels the same way for me.

No comments: