Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Case of Single Parenthood

Most of my friends are married and have families of their own. I on the other hand, also have a family of my own, however, I am single and unwed.

I made the decision to stay single and unwed when I realized that the attitude of my daughters father is somewhat not what I expected. I didn't expect much from him, except for him to be loyal, supportive and responsible. To my dismay, he has none of these characteristics. It was also discomforting on part when I learned about this during my pregnancy.

Looking back, there are times that I ask myself, what have I done? I know that there is so much I wanted to achieve in life, one of them is having a family of my own but I didn’t expect it to be this way.

I love being a mother and keeping my baby IS the best decision I’ve made. This achievement is so paramount that I cant help gushing how lucky I am to be become a mother and to be my daughters keeper.

I know that a family is comprised of a mother and a father. However, in a single-parent situation, the single mom/dad has a greater task of fulfilling the duties of both mother and father.

Single parents are mostly viewed as strong individuals. We are forced to put a brave face and meet with bravado all the adversities in life. Whether we achieve and be successful or succumb to losses, single parents are heroes. To the eyes of our little children, we are the iron men and women of their lives.

Despite of all the accolades that single parents receive for achieving the tasks, we are just simple human beings; who at the end of the day, sheds a tear or two when we look back at how we fought the challenges and look forward to the more hurdles of the future.

Single parenthood, it is bitter yet sweet.

No comments: