Friday, March 27, 2009

Summer School

I am so excited because next month my daughter will begin her journey as a student, a journey that will take her to a new environment and new experience. I am so excited because finally she will have playmates. Even though she’ll only have 2 hours of class everyday but the fact that my daughter will be immersed in a new learning experience, it is reason enough for a mother like me to be ecstatic.

Now, I am already planning on what will she bring to school. Like, what bag, what shoes and clothes to wear, what baon to bring etc.

Actually, what I’m really planning for her this summer is to enroll her in ballet or piano lessons. I inquired local ballet schools and I found out that the minimum age they accept is 3 years old. My daughter is only 2 ½ years old. She won’t turn 3 until August. Besides, ballet lessons are expensive. They charge P2000 per month and they only have 4 sessions a month. Apart from that, you will have to buy ballet shoes and costumes. I am ruling out ballet for now.

I also planned to let her take piano lessons. My cousin’s wife teaches piano so I inquired if she’ll take my daughter. Unfortunately, she only take students aged 7 and up. My daughter is definitely disqualified.

My last option was just to bring her to city with me so that we can be together everyday. If you didn’t know, my daughter is in the province while I’m here in the city. We only see each other on weekends and for me, it is not enough. I long for more days and more hours that I could stay with her.

Anyway, a friend of mine who has a 3 yr old son told me that Woodridge School is offering free summer classes for toddlers aged 2 ½ to 3 ½. Perfect. The offer is so good and so irresistible. Imagine the school is just a walking distance away from where I live. This school provides top-notch and quality education and for a month, they’ll provide it for free. I simply couldn’t say no. Yesterday, I went to the school and submitted a copy of my daughter’s birth certificate and had her enrolled.

The requirements? You’ll have to provide your own food (of course). Provide your own school materials like crayons, pencils, papers and stuff. This is such a bargain compared to enrolling her to ballet and piano lessons. So next week, I’m off to the department store and buy her stuff. I am so excited. I’m seeing pastels already…pinks, blues, yellows, greens and purples.

But of course, I haven’t fully ruled out ballet and piano yet. Perhaps in a year or two, she’ll learn how to pirouette or start to become a piano prodigy.

Who knows? A mother can always dream. :-)

No comments: