Thursday, March 26, 2009

Respect and Boyet Fajardo

About 2 weeks ago, netizens were feasting a video uploaded on Youtube about the so-called Boyet Fajardo scandal.

The scandal was about this designer named Boyet Fajardo who apparently verbally molested employees of Duty Free Philippines. As curious as I was, I went online and checked the video myself. What I saw was utterly horrible. Horrible in the sense that a potbellied (that was the first thing I notice of him when I saw the video, his potbelly) guy in overcoat pointed fingers at a young fellow manning the counter and at one point had him kneel in front of him.

Who are you Mr. Boyet Fajardo? Are you God? Who are you to let the poor fellow kneel in front of you? Maybe you are used to people (men especially) kneeling in front of you (pun intended). First of all, I think some of your clothes are horrible. They are not what you call designer clothes because the designs are pathetic. I'm not a fashion savant but I would not even bother buying your clothes even if they're on sale because they're ugly. They are as ugly as your attitude actually.

The video in Youtube does not have an audio but you don’t really need one to understand what was going on. Action speaks louder than words. Basing on your action alone Mr. Fajardo, it seems that you're gearing yourself to be deep-fried in your own oil.

I thought Mr. Fajardo is a well-educated and well-meaning citizen of this country. Turns out he is the contrary. He claimed to be a victim also, that he and Mr. Marvin Fernandez are just victims. Mr. Fajardo, do you want to watch the video of yourself doing what you did to that cashier? Perhaps that will give you an idea on what a victim is and what a victim does.

The incident with Mr. Marvin Fernandez portrays how unfair the society is. Mr. Fernandez has represented in action what happens to regular call center workers like me. I feel his pain because I too had been a subject of such disdain. Its not easy and it is not right to say that what happened to Mr. Fernandez goes with the territory. We, in the customer service industry deserve the same respect as those people working in high-rise buildings with offices by the window. We too are human beings and needed to be treated as such.

Mr. Fajardo, don’t cry those crocodile tears, it wont work. Remember that respect begets respect. Learn it and you’ll earn it.

No comments: