Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Cry of Anguish from a Hurt BPO Employee

Pres. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo declared Sept 7 and Sept 21 as Special Non-Working Holidays however employees working in the BPO sector and those working in the electronics industry are exempted from the rule. That means that BPO employees and those in the electronics industry are required to work but are not entitled to a holiday premium.

For some reason, she heard the cry of the owners of BPO / Semicon companies. These sectors employ the highest number of employees and if a holiday is declared, they’ll be forced to pay additional premiums to those who will be working on these days. Doesn't the government have compunctions about granting these requests? Do they even consider that workers in the BPO and electronics industries are also Filipinos and that they pay TAXES?

When I heard about the news, all I said was “What the fuck!”. I’m an honest employee and I diligently pay my taxes. Anybody who dares disagree with that and I’ll slap them my pay slips. Every goddamn 15th and 30th, my regular pay is being deducted with an amount which I am sure just goes directly to the deep pockets of the crooks better known as “politicos”.

Fairness and equality is a non-existent word in our government’s vocabulary. They declared a holiday for the nation because a spiritual leader of a religious congregation died but exempted from the declaration are the BPO / Semicon industry workers. Where’s fairness in that? Equality? I understand if BPO and electronics industry employees are required to come to work but to be denied of a holiday premium pay? Discrimination perhaps? What the fuck indeed!

I know what some people will say, they’ll tell me to be thankful that I have a job. Oh fucking yes, I am thankful to have a job but right now, I’m having second thoughts about having this job in the Philippines. It just sucks.

Now I’m thinking of skipping the next polls, or perhaps not. I’m still undecided but this I know for sure, I will not vote for the lesser evil. My vote will go to someone who truly cares for the entire ailing nation and not just to be selective about it, somebody whose life is centered in equality, fairness, truth and justice.

Pearl M. Hagnaya, mother, hurt BPO employee.

No comments: