Thursday, August 13, 2009

Me, Happy? Absolutely!

A friend asked, why are you happy Pearl?

That doesn't sound like a question to me but rather a statement. Does it show on my face that I'm happy? I guess so. Look, I don't have the "I am happy" statement plastered on my forehead but yet people ask why I'm happy.

Well, let me count the ways.

First, I am alive. The idea of waking up each day to completely new day is a gift worthy of smiles. Everyday presents a new possibility of redeeming my old sinful ways and make myself a better person. Everyday is a new beginning, a fresh start. Another opportunity to put on that great moisturizing cream….(oh stop it!)

We are not super humans. I am not a superwoman but my normal human capabilities allow me to choose to be happy. Good things happen as well as bad things. I mean it's a fact of life. People make good and bad choices but idea of being able to make just a single choice should be a source of that happiness.

I don't have much financially but still I'm able to shop…at the thrift stores no less. And yes, that makes me happy. If I am full, I am happy, if I am hungry, I am angry but definitely not unhappy. Therefore, shopping and eating does the mood good. Try it.

Another reason why I'm happy is that I know myself. I mean, I know where I live, where I work and stuff like that. Kidding aside, one reason why I'm really happy is that I don't depend on other people for my happiness. I am quite secure of myself that I know who I am and what I want in life. I compete with my own self and not with other people.

I have a big circle of friends. I have funny friends, emo friends, weird friends, rich friends and all sorts of friends. They inspire me, back me up when I need a wall to lean on, they believe that I am beautiful and they read my blogs. Should I continue? (sorry friends, not enough space)

Anyway, one of the bigger reasons why I am happy is because I have a lovely daughter. My relatives used to taunt me as "batig nawng" but hey, who's laughing now? Look at my offspring my dearest. Didn't you wish Alix were your daughter?

Each day, I decide to be happy. It is not a daunting task. Just will your self to be happy and rest will follow. So next time you wake up, do yourself a favor, decide to be happy and do not forget to always thank God for the new day.

No comments: